It’s an exciting time for us at Dinosaur Polo Club! As well as supporting two distinctive games under our Mini brand, we’re working on a compelling new title with a completely different art style. We’re looking for a studio art director, or a senior artist wanting to jump to the next stage in their career, to join us on our journey.
If you’re reading this thinking, “Hey, that sounds like me”, fantastic! Ideally you’ve had many years leading teams of artists on shipped titles, helping to build a healthy culture and fostering the skills of those in your charge. We’re still a small studio though, so you will get plenty of time on the tools yourself.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Lead, manage, and inspire our team of artists through all stages of project development.
- Direct development of each project’s visual style, intent, pillars, and hero imagery.
- Ensure consistency and quality of all art assets, maintenance of vision, the conversion of visual ideas, and provide timely guidance and feedback.
- Document and communicate the artistic vision, style, and quality standards for all projects.
- Be comfortable working in a variety of styles and genres.
- Create high-quality production art assets and integrate them into the games that you’re working on.
- Work with the production team and community manager to define the marketing approach and branding material.
- Plan and maintain the schedule of deliverables to meet project milestones.
- Champion the needs of the art team, such as recommending hardware and software purchases and improvements to the workflow and pipelines.
- Collaborate with the programming team to identify and define tools and solutions for art/tech integration.
- Nurture a culture of constructive and supportive critique.
- Provide mentorship and guidance for artists within your team.
- Work closely with the production team and studio manager to identify upcoming skill gaps and fill them through training, hiring, or contracting.
Remuneration and next steps:
If this opportunity sounds up your alley, great! Email us at email@example.com with your CV, portfolio, and a cover letter.
Our games are played by people from all over the world and from a wide variety of backgrounds, gender identities, and sexual orientations. We want to have a pool of applicants as varied and diverse as our players, so we strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
- Annual remuneration will depend on your seniority and experience, starting at NZ$95k.
- Annual training budget of NZ$7k. This covers NZGDC in New Zealand, GCAP in Melbourne, and GDC in San Francisco, or can be tailored to your preferences.
- Annual contribution of NZ$1k towards your health and wellbeing.
- Quarterly bonuses based on studio performance.
- The position is full-time and on-site in beautiful Wellington, New Zealand. We have a relocation budget for remote applicants.